Sunday, January 10, 2016

Salsa Style Chicken (E)

This recipe normally calls for chicken drumsticks which I make for the family but I turned it into an E recipe for me by using chicken tenderloins for myself. Although you could just buy enough white meat chicken breasts or tenderloins for the entire family.

For us I use 1 family package of drumsticks and then a small pack of the chicken tenderloins I think it was about 1 pound.

Salsa Style Chicken (E)

2 small/medium onions sliced about a cup to cup and a half
juice of 2 limes
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp hot sauce
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 (20oz) cans whole tomatoes (I sliced them....couldn't find sliced canned tomatoes w/o sugar)
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
12 chicken drumsticks &/or chicken breast/tenderloins (enough for your family so you decide how much)*
Enough cooked brown rice for your family (I can do the serving for 6 on the package that is is enough for us)
2 cups of water

* you have to use skinless white chicken to make it an E meal.

Mix onion, juice, sauce, garlic minced, cilantro,tomatoes (& juice from cans) jalapeno pepper and chicken together in a large bag (I had to use 2).  Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Heat broiler.  Remove chicken from marinade and reserve the marinade.  Place chicken in a single layer, skin side up on a broiler rack.  Broil 4-6" from heat for 15-20 mins turning once for the drumsticks.  Check to make sure it is done all the way .  My oven takes a little longer.  If using chicken tenderloins I broiled those about 5 minutes on each side. The chicken breasts take a little longer so keep an eye on them.

For the marinade place in deep skillet or sauce pan and add water.  Boil 30 minutes until onion is tender.  Serve over rice.

Serves about 6 maybe more if your family doesn't chow down as much as my 4 boys do!




No comments:

Post a Comment