Monday, July 7, 2014

Dresser Makeover

This was a free to us dresser from some friends of my inlaws.  2 of the drawers had come apart, the paint was flaking off and it wasn't pretty.

I stripped the drawer fronts and the top of the dresser.  Then filled the holes in the drawers.  The 2 top drawers do not match because one was rebuilt at some point in time and then painted.  Who ever painted it did not prime it first.    After sanding down the drawer fronts I sanded the entire dresser to get off all the paint that was flaking and get rid of the paint drips that were on it.   After priming the dresser really good I gave it 2 coats of satin black paint.   The dresser top and drawer fronts were stained with General Finishes Brown Mahogany gel stain and then topped with satin polyurethane.  Eventually I'd like to re-veneer the 2 top drawers.  The one has 7 drawer holes in it  and the other is just missing the veneer.

Here's all the before, during and after pics.



To strip the drawer fronts and tops I just painted on the stripper, let it sit for a few minutes then scraped it all off with a putty knife.  Make sure you wear gloves!


I filled all the drawer pull holes with some water based wood putty that was stainable.  This particular putty a cherry color.


I had to glue 2 of the drawers back together:
 Here's the after:



To make the drawers slide better I took some soap and rubbed it on the bottom rails of the drawers and also inside the dresser where the drawers slide in.  No more stuck drawers!




Here's the before and after again!


The frame, tray, and horse head all came from Home Goods.  The 3 books I already had and the barn star came from Lowe's a few years ago. Now to figure out what picture to put in the frame!


Linked up with:








4 comments:

  1. I'm here via BetterAfter. Your work is fantastic! It's amazing how many details were hiding behind that white paint! Bravo to you for your hard work. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did. That General Finishes gel stain is the best stuff! We used it on our kitchen cabinets and one bathroom cabinet and it's great. Using soap on the drawers was masterful. I love how your dresser turned out. I'm here from BetterAfter, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We use General Finishes a lot when we finish cabinets we build for clients as well. It's a great product!

      Delete